Login Register WSPC 2017 • Schedule • Participation • Location • WSC • WPC • Contact •Search •Recent

Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier
   LMI Tests -> Puzzle Ramayan55 posts • Page 2 of 3 • 1 2 3
An LMI player
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-27 9:37 PM (#24127 - in reply to #24029) (#24127) Top

What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Too many easy puzzles
 What did you think about the puzzle quality of the test? Fairly Nice
 Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Black and White and Grey
 What was your opinion about the answer key extraction? Perfect answer keys
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did the point values reflect the difficulty? Most puzzles were worth the right amount
 What was your opinion of the booklet formatting and printing? Just right

Joo M.Y
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-27 11:07 PM (#24128 - in reply to #24029) (#24128) Top

What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Just right
 What did you think about the puzzle quality of the test? Very nice
 Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Doors
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did the point values reflect the difficulty? Most puzzles were worth the right amount

JonaS2010
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-28 2:05 AM (#24129 - in reply to #24029) (#24129) Top

What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Too many easy puzzles
 What was your opinion about the answer key extraction? Mostly perfect answer keys

paramesis
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-28 5:05 AM (#24130 - in reply to #24029) (#24130) Top

Kaleidoscope Author

Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Loop Finder
 What was your opinion about the answer key extraction? Mostly perfect answer keys

I was disappointed with the raster graphics on Black and White and Grey and on Tents (pixellation was really ugly to look at). Also, the interior grid lines in Doors were too dark and thick to be solved in the manner the IB suggests. I ended up drawing X's over borders that contained closed doors and perpendicular lines through doors that were open to create a network of lines. Perhaps slitherlink-style dots would have been better?

Thanks for a great set!
MrLiang
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-28 8:46 AM (#24131 - in reply to #24029) (#24131) Top

Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Hitori

Helen
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-28 10:46 AM (#24134 - in reply to #24029) (#24134) Top

chaotic_iak
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-28 11:44 AM (#24135 - in reply to #24029) (#24135) Top

Typed Logic Author

So, clearly there are a bunch of easy puzzles. I know it's for Puzzle Ramayan, though, so on retrospect it's fine, even though I was hoping for better.

My favorite puzzles were the two hardest puzzles: Doors 3 and BWG 2. There are several puzzles that are less than ideal: Numberlink 3 had very similar halves; Hitori 3 had a big frame that ended up not doing anything, just artificially making the puzzle larger; Tents 2 had an answer key that was completely independent from the trees (because the only two solutions before including the trees gave the same answer key); Tents 3 had an obvious solution (there were several other no-number Tents puzzles I've done that were more appealing than this); Loop Finder 3 also ended up just having an artificially larger puzzle size, although it's definitely an interesting parity problem; Doors 2 was extremely repetitive.

Answer keys were mostly good, although I expected "leftmost tent for each row" for Tents and "lengths of segments up until closed doors" for Doors. Whether puzzles are worth the right amount, I can't say since I blazed the test, but I think a few puzzles can have their values adjusted.

Anyway... Well, an okay start for the season. I hope it's going better forward, though.
An LMI player
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-28 12:19 PM (#24136 - in reply to #24029) (#24136) Top

prasanna16391
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-28 1:40 PM (#24137 - in reply to #24029) (#24137) Top

2021 World Sudoku+Puzzle Convention Organizer

chaotic_iak - 2018-01-28 11:44 AM

No particular reason for quoting, I just wanted to say "New, Huge and Challenging Author" is an awesome tag to have :D

As a general point, I actually feel this difficulty is just right for Puzzle Ramayan. Its significantly less challenging than Sudoku Mahabharat but that's reflective of the current solving capabilities in India. Many newer solvers tried this contest and solved a decent number of puzzles. I think that's good, and hopefully it encourages them to be a bit more regular. In Sudoku we have a lot more depth, so its good to have things a little more difficult. Of course, ideally once solvers become regular and continue improving, we can move the difficulty up along with that. Puzzle quality aside, just commenting on difficulty, I would urge other PR authors to keep this difficulty too. I know it may not be as much fun for veteran solvers and it might be a little more difficult to build fun and varied solve paths but the priority of this particular series is to provide a base for Indian talent (and new talent from other countries too) to develop.
ABcDexter
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-28 7:04 PM (#24138 - in reply to #24029) (#24138) Top

PR 2020 (MII and Regions) Author

Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Numberlink

The level of puzzle was really good, enjoyed a lot :)
kishy72
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-28 7:11 PM (#24139 - in reply to #24029) (#24139) Top

SM 2020 (Math) Author

Enjoyed a lot ! First PR round that I got to finish in over 3 years !!

I enjoyed Doors(15) the most followed by Numbertrilink(7) .Thanks for the amazing puzzles !!
chaotic_iak
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-28 8:10 PM (#24140 - in reply to #24137) (#24140) Top

Typed Logic Author

prasanna16391 - 2018-01-28 4:40 PM

chaotic_iak - 2018-01-28 11:44 AM

No particular reason for quoting, I just wanted to say "New, Huge and Challenging Author" is an awesome tag to have :D

As a general point, I actually feel this difficulty is just right for Puzzle Ramayan. Its significantly less challenging than Sudoku Mahabharat but that's reflective of the current solving capabilities in India. Many newer solvers tried this contest and solved a decent number of puzzles. I think that's good, and hopefully it encourages them to be a bit more regular. In Sudoku we have a lot more depth, so its good to have things a little more difficult. Of course, ideally once solvers become regular and continue improving, we can move the difficulty up along with that. Puzzle quality aside, just commenting on difficulty, I would urge other PR authors to keep this difficulty too. I know it may not be as much fun for veteran solvers and it might be a little more difficult to build fun and varied solve paths but the priority of this particular series is to provide a base for Indian talent (and new talent from other countries too) to develop.

I shouldn't author any more LMI tests so it remains my tag. :P

I do know that PR should be significantly easier. (Hey, there are Indonesian friends with me, and they managed to score around 60%, so I consider that pretty motivating for them.) But even with easy puzzles, I believe one can still make interesting puzzles. Some of the puzzles are really repetitive (those I mentioned); I'm pretty sure it's still possible to tweak them to be much less repetitive, while staying easy and interesting.
An LMI player
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 12:08 AM (#24141 - in reply to #24029) (#24141) Top

aditi2302
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 6:14 AM (#24142 - in reply to #24029) (#24142) Top

Neighbours Variations (SM 15/16) Author

Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Tents

An LMI player
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 7:45 AM (#24143 - in reply to #24029) (#24143) Top

Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Number Trilink

An LMI player
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 11:28 AM (#24145 - in reply to #24029) (#24145) Top

purifire
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 12:54 PM (#24147 - in reply to #24029) (#24147) Top

Odd Even & Twisted Classics (SM 16/17) Author

PR is a wonderful platform to promote puzzle solving in India. I, being a Sudoku solver primarily, have a mental block against puzzles and never participate coz of that. But today it felt nice taking part in PR and I must say the puzzles were of perfect quality to promote and encourage people to take up puzzle solving.
kiwijam
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 2:06 PM (#24149 - in reply to #24029) (#24149) Top

An LMI player
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 3:10 PM (#24150 - in reply to #24029) (#24150) Top

prasanna16391
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 5:36 PM (#24151 - in reply to #24029) (#24151) Top

An LMI player
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 10:09 PM (#24152 - in reply to #24029) (#24152) Top

What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Too many medium difficult puzzles

An LMI player
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 10:26 PM (#24154 - in reply to #24029) (#24154) Top

First on-line competition done for ages. Nice to finish.

utkaarsh
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-29 11:28 PM (#24155 - in reply to #24029) (#24155) Top

Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Number Trilink
 What was your opinion about the answer key extraction? Answer keys could have been better

greenhorn
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-30 12:56 AM (#24156 - in reply to #24029) (#24156) Top

The (earlier?) deadline of PR surprised me a lot. I know I am stupid and reading instructions is the hardest puzzle for me, but usually the contest is open until morning (in Europe). Besides that, I believe that one hour would be enough for me (as the contest page informed me that the competition will be over in 60 minutes), but nevermind, maybe next time...
tamz29
Subject: Re: Classics - 26th - 29th Jan 2018 - Puzzle Ramayan & IPC Qualifier @ 2018-01-30 1:12 AM (#24157 - in reply to #24029) (#24157) Top

With about 30 minutes to go, it didn't let me start the test :(
I thought you could start from when the test had <90 mins to go - and still get 90 mins for the test.
Oh well. Next season :(
55 posts • Page 2 of 3 • 1 2 3
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version