Login Register WSPC 2017 • Schedule • Participation • Location • WSC • WPC • Contact •Search •Recent

WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013
   LMI Tests -> Monthly Sudoku and Puzzle Tests80 posts • Page 2 of 4 • 1 2 3 4
yoshimasa
Subject: RE: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 10:15 AM (#11444 - in reply to #11250) (#11444) Top

Hi,

I had fun this great test, but found a bug.
In "toroidal", I couldn't move my cursor at point (7, 3) in online sudoku grid.
Could you confirm?

yoshimasa
prasanna16391
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 11:09 AM (#11445 - in reply to #11250) (#11445) Top

2021 World Sudoku+Puzzle Convention Organizer

Ah I see that all the GP results of a player + a best 6 column has been added to the results. Excellent additions
Administrator
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 11:15 AM (#11446 - in reply to #11250) (#11446) Top

prasanna16391 - 2013-06-30 11:09 AM

Ah I see that all the GP results of a player + a best 6 column has been added to the results. Excellent additions
Please note that, 1. It is not official. The official list will be published at WPF.
2. It is available only for top players, not for all.
3. Players missing in GP8 are also missing in this list. So it does not give you a correct picture. You have to compare this with results after GP7
debmohanty
Subject: RE: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 11:16 AM (#11447 - in reply to #11444) (#11447) Top

yoshimasa - 2013-06-30 10:15 AM

Hi,

Could you confirm?

yoshimasa
I think it was R1C7 in toroidal. Fixed now.
davep
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 11:27 AM (#11448 - in reply to #11250) (#11448) Top

How balanced do you think the puzzle types of this test were? Perfectly balanced
 What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Just right
 What did you think about the puzzle quality of the test? Very nice
 How did you feel about the length / time limit for this test? Just right
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? Most puzzles were worth the right amount
 What was your opinion of the booklet formatting and printing? Just right

kishy72
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 11:42 AM (#11449 - in reply to #11250) (#11449) Top

SM 2020 (Math) Author

How balanced do you think the puzzle types of this test were? Perfectly balanced
 What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? A bit hard
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? Most puzzles were worth the right amount

Italian round in short words : simple and elegant.A perfect way to cap off the World sudoku Grand Prix.Thnks for the great grids authors!

Out of the ones i solved my personal favourites were Classic sudoku 11 , 10-11 Sudoku .Jigsaw .I found clean logic in the sudokus that i solved.

Classic sudoku 11 had what i would consider my find of the tourney.With over 12 mins spent on the stuck point ,i was getting increasingly anxious and was about to jump to the next grid when out of the blue i spotted the X-wing of 1.After completing the same it gave me a sense of satisfaction like nothing else.It has been a long time since i spotted an X - wing in a competetion scenario.If my memory is good i haven't seen X-wings in the Beginners' contests or in any recent monthly tests.I am doubtful whether that sudoku can be continued without the X-wing deduction.I have learnt that it is important to change the mode of thinking if a certain way does not work out.

10-11 sudoku was fun too.I am particularly fond of the way in which the "no dashes then no 10 or 11 sum" rule worked out.It was equally important in the solve just as the dashes played their part.
Jigsaw was perfectly fine and had for its share some nice tricks .Now i hope to solve the incomplete ones later.

On a different note I am surprised that each Grand prix round has thrown out a different winner so far .I m eager to see if the trend continues in this test too though there is still a chance for some of the toppers from the previous rounds to top again.

Overall i had great fun during the test and this Italian round is one of my most favourite rounds in the grand prix.Thnks to the authors once again. I can safely state that the inaugural year of the Grand prix has been a grand success!!

An LMI player
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 1:13 PM (#11450 - in reply to #11250) (#11450) Top

An LMI Player with Sudoku ratings 500+
 How balanced do you think the puzzle types of this test were? Fairly balanced
 What did you think about the puzzle quality of the test? Fairly Nice

Richard
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 1:39 PM (#11452 - in reply to #11250) (#11452) Top

WCPN Author

How did you feel about the length / time limit for this test? A bit too many puzzles
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? Many puzzles were worth too much or too little

Especially the designs of the 1011 and kropki were brilliant!
I agree with previous comments about points distribution, the 55-pointer was not hard, just a lot of work where others with less points took much more time.
wgryciuk
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 1:40 PM (#11453 - in reply to #11250) (#11453) Top

What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? A bit hard

Junta
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 2:32 PM (#11456 - in reply to #11250) (#11456) Top

Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? All puzzles were worth the right amount

yoshimasa
Subject: RE: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 3:30 PM (#11458 - in reply to #11447) (#11458) Top

debmohanty - 2013-06-30 2:16 PM

yoshimasa - 2013-06-30 10:15 AM

Hi,

Could you confirm?

yoshimasa
I think it was R1C7 in toroidal. Fixed now.

Sorry my typo, and that was right. Thanks for your service
Gabrieleud
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 4:00 PM (#11459 - in reply to #11443) (#11459) Top

Special 8 Author

john_reid - 2013-06-30 8:28 AM
[...] I spent a LONG time tackling several of the earlier puzzles that were 20 points or less, only to find after time was up that MANY of the puzzles worth a lot of points were FAR easier - including the 55 pointer which had no logical roadblocks along the solve at all! I know that comments like that are subjective, so I'd like to hear what other solvers' experiences were. Thanks to the constructors for the puzzles, though, they were fun... I was just a little disappointed this time with the points layout.

I agree with you. The 55 pointer was not *that* hard, until you properly understand how to determinate the 9 wrong numbers on each side. With that done, it was a puzzle that still required a bit of work where other puzzles didn't. Hence, we decided to raise the value, in compensation of the time you might have used to solve this one. Some of the classic sudoku were harder than they were worth, in my mind, but really they had one or two hard points to cross over. We decided for lower points at these classic because they're basically grounded on a well-known logic, with no tricks, or things-to-know-before.
joshuazucker
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 4:09 PM (#11460 - in reply to #11250) (#11460) Top

What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Too many easy puzzles
 How did you feel about the length / time limit for this test? A bit too many puzzles
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? Many puzzles were worth too much or too little
 What was your opinion of the booklet formatting and printing? Too few pages / too small grids

I agree with the comments that the last 55 pointer was a lot easier than some of the others worth much less -- on the other hand, it was pretty clear from the practice puzzles that this was likely to be the case, once you see how to use the rules of this variant things go pretty quickly.

I particularly enjoyed the coded killer and the 1011.
rajeshk
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 6:10 PM (#11461 - in reply to #11250) (#11461) Top

WSPC Organizer

Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? All puzzles were worth the right amount

detuned
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 6:26 PM (#11462 - in reply to #11250) (#11462) Top

What was your opinion of the booklet formatting and printing? I have a different complaint

Great test! one tiny tiny complaint was the formatting of the letter killer, where the cages were too heavy and the major gridlines too faint. Well done to the organisers :)
An LMI player
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 7:53 PM (#11463 - in reply to #11250) (#11463) Top

Yuhei Kusui
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 8:09 PM (#11464 - in reply to #11250) (#11464) Top

What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? A bit easy

I couldn't find a clear logical way to solve Tripod...
yureklis
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 8:40 PM (#11465 - in reply to #11250) (#11465) Top

CTC & TVC Author & Organizer

Thank you very much for the lovely test.
SKnight
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 9:11 PM (#11466 - in reply to #11250) (#11466) Top

wicktroll
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 9:33 PM (#11467 - in reply to #11250) (#11467) Top

sanket
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 10:13 PM (#11468 - in reply to #11250) (#11468) Top

How did you feel about the length / time limit for this test? Way too many puzzles (too little time)

UllaE
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 11:09 PM (#11469 - in reply to #11250) (#11469) Top

Personally, I expect that I cannot solve the hardest (most points) puzzle in the set. This time though, Three is a Crowd was "easy" in that perspective, so thus I would say that the whole set was easier than usually. On the other hand, I spent almost equal amount of time in Kropki.

Nevertheless, there seems to be enough puzzles to compensate the "easiness" so that usual amount of top solvers finishes all of them.

And big thanks to all of the Sudoku GP organizers!!! It was great fun!
rob
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 11:34 PM (#11470 - in reply to #11250) (#11470) Top

Classics & Regions (PR 2016/17) Author

Had the same experience as others regarding point distribution. There's a general expectation that point distribution scales with expected solving time in some way (often linearly, at least monotonously?). I think it's fine to deviate from that, but maybe it would be worth announcing?

Also stumped by the tripod, would appreciate some hints for the break-in.
An LMI player
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-06-30 11:54 PM (#11471 - in reply to #11250) (#11471) Top

Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? Most puzzles were worth too much or too little

Random point distribution made this contest a bit inequitable and unpredictable.
lenzo
Subject: Re: WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Italian Round — 29th June - 1st July 2013 @ 2013-07-01 2:43 AM (#11472 - in reply to #11250) (#11472) Top

80 posts • Page 2 of 4 • 1 2 3 4
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version