Login Register WSPC 2017 • Schedule • Participation • Location • WSC • WPC • Contact •Search •Recent

Creating Puzzle Images
   LMI Essentials -> General Discussion6 posts • Page 1 of 1 • 1
forsmarts
Subject: Re: Creating Puzzle Images @ 2011-11-30 2:53 PM (#6098 - in reply to #6096) (#6098) Top

forsmarts 13th Anniversary Contest Author

I use only CorelDRAW to create puzzle images for publishing. And "prototypes" are made in Excel, of course.
CorelDRAW is a friendly, efficient tool, but maybe not very easy to be learned from scratch.
I cannot tell anything about the other tools as I never used them.
debmohanty
Subject: Re: Creating Puzzle Images @ 2011-12-08 10:16 AM (#6161 - in reply to #6098) (#6161) Top

I work with several authors, and it is always interesting for me to know how they make puzzle images.

Apart from InkScape and CorelDraw, I know that Serkan uses Adobe Freehand and some authors use the expensive Adobe Illustrator. Having used bit of everything, I would say that there is not much to choose between these. All of them produce beautiful vector based images. However, learning them and using them efficiently is not easy. So if you are starting to learn (or planning to use) one of them, just pick one and get started. If I were to ditch EPS and start using another tool, I would choose InkScape because it is free and there are lot of tutorials available (because it is free).

I'm using eps for a long time now, which I learnt from Hendrik. I have to write PostScript program for each image type, so it demands good amount of programming skills. I would not recommend eps to everyone. Unlike most modern languages, PS uses Reverse Polish notation and not Infix notation. That can still be a challenge even for experienced programmers.
MellowMelon
Subject: RE: Creating Puzzle Images @ 2011-12-08 10:31 PM (#6162 - in reply to #6096) (#6162) Top

Fillomino-Fillia 2 Author

I use a homemade program written in Python, which has enough editing capabilities that a lot of puzzles I make never appear on a sheet of paper. wxWidgets does the GUI and also used to do the drawing until I changed to Cairo in a rewrite to get vector graphics. It does have its limitations, mostly when the grid is irregular. I've had intentions to clean it up enough to be released for over a year, but it seems like every time I strike something off the todo list, two more things take its place.

A screenshot of the program to give an impression of how it works: http://mellowmelon.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/screenshot.png
Should be noted that one major item on the aforementioned todo list is a revised interface made to be intuitive for someone other than me, not to mention documentation.
Wilmington86
Subject: Re: Creating Puzzle Images @ 2011-12-22 7:33 PM (#6239 - in reply to #6096) (#6239) Top

I know CorelDraw is very effective to use for doing that, but Adobe programs are more understandable to me, maybe because I am more accustomed to them, so I still prefer to work with Adobe Software.
davmillar
Subject: Re: Creating Puzzle Images @ 2012-02-14 8:47 AM (#6721 - in reply to #6096) (#6721) Top

My workflow uses 3 (technically 4) pieces of software and two devices:

Step 1: Draft the puzzle by hand in Sketchbook for iPad, export as PNG to Dropbox
Step 2: Draw nicely using Inkscape on my PC, save editable SVG and PDF copy for posting, save PDF to Dropbox
Step 3: Test-solve the PDF version in UPAD for iPad, checking for errors and comparing against the original drawing when errors are found.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1 • 1
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version