Login Register WSPC 2017 • Schedule • Participation • Location • WSC • WPC • Contact •Search •Recent

Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb
   LMI Tests -> Monthly Sudoku and Puzzle Tests27 posts • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2
rvarun
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-25 2:10 PM (#22585 - in reply to #22462) (#22585) Top

How well did you like the theme of the contest? I really liked the theme
 What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Just right
 What did you think about the puzzle quality of the test? Fairly Nice
 Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Hitori
 What was your opinion about the answer key extraction? Perfect answer keys
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did the point values reflect the difficulty? Most puzzles were worth the right amount
 What was your opinion of the booklet formatting and printing? Just right

Thanks Ivan and Andrey for this innovative contest. I enjoyed solving the puzzles with more of mathematical ratios, summations and what else. The theme was really great and the puzzles were also of nice quality. I was able to complete on the the puzzles which required least calculations like Hitori, Tapa and Sudoku. There were quite some difficult puzzles, which I would rather say requires intuition than stating it to be difficult especially Hidoku. Thanks again for the contest.

Edited by rvarun 2017-02-25 2:17 PM
An LMI player
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-25 4:23 PM (#22586 - in reply to #22462) (#22586) Top

What did you think about the puzzle quality of the test? Very nice
 Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Light Garlands
 What was your opinion about the answer key extraction? Mostly perfect answer keys
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did the point values reflect the difficulty? Most puzzles were worth the right amount

An LMI player
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-25 5:50 PM (#22588 - in reply to #22462) (#22588) Top

What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Too many hard puzzles

ghirsch
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-25 10:56 PM (#22589 - in reply to #22462) (#22589) Top

How well did you like the theme of the contest? I somewhat liked the theme
 What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Too many hard puzzles
 Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Tapa
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did the point values reflect the difficulty? Many puzzles were worth too much or too little

bob
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-26 6:08 AM (#22590 - in reply to #22462) (#22590) Top

When I first printed the puzzles out and saw the dearth of given clues, I was worried I would not be able to solve any of them, but I managed to finish several. The theme was clever and well executed for the most part, giving a sense of freshness to common puzzle types. I liked the tapas, hitoris and sudokus the best; these felt fun to me while making great use of the theme. I did not attempt the hidokus at all--those looked like nonstop arithmetic with too many possibilities for error. Couldn't figure out how to break in to skyscrapers or the second fillomino. And of course there is never enough time, but I'm more of an average solver.
I read the instructions beforehand; in retrospect I should also have considered in advance possibilities for snowman ratios, especially those with a non-integral "heaviness factor".
Overall fun original puzzles. I made lots of snowmen in the USA when I was a child. Glad to see this is global, at least in colder climates.
An LMI player
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-26 3:14 PM (#22591 - in reply to #22462) (#22591) Top

Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Skyscrapers
 What was your opinion about the answer key extraction? Mostly perfect answer keys

tamz29
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-26 4:39 PM (#22592 - in reply to #22462) (#22592) Top

Ugh. Way too mathematical and too many guesswork (look at Hidoku).
An ideal puzzle would be the 2nd Skyscrapers - little guessing and more intuitive logical steps, easily my favourite of the test.
Fillomino and Tapa were both fine I guess since they involve little arithmetic.

But the Sudoku, Hidoku and Hitori had too many calculation/guesswork for my taste.
Excellent idea but I think some were too arithmetic-heavy.
An LMI player
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-26 8:31 PM (#22593 - in reply to #22462) (#22593) Top

forcolin
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-26 9:29 PM (#22594 - in reply to #22462) (#22594) Top

At first my reaction was "ugh" and I soon abandoned any hope of scoring sensibly. However this proved to be wrong and I managed to solve a few, a good number for my standard.
I found the set extremely well conceived and realized, however sometimes it was difficult to get the logic. For example I solved the tough skyscraper and fillomino but could not see the aha trick for the two simple ones.
An excellent set, thank you Ivan and Andrey; special congratulations to Ken, the only one who finished the set so far (with 5 seconds to spare). I did not think it was humanly possible, he must be extraterrestrial
An LMI player
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-26 11:41 PM (#22595 - in reply to #22462) (#22595) Top

Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Sudoku
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did the point values reflect the difficulty? Many puzzles were worth too much or too little

Ziti
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-27 3:20 AM (#22596 - in reply to #22462) (#22596) Top

What was your opinion about the answer key extraction? Answer keys could have been better

mstang
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-27 4:27 AM (#22597 - in reply to #22462) (#22597) Top

Which set of puzzles did you like the most? Fillomino
 What was your opinion of the booklet formatting and printing? Too many pages / too large grids

I agree with some of the above posts, that the idea is very nice, but there was a lot more math than usual on this contest. As somebody with math contests background, I personally am fine with this :P I disliked the puzzles that required a lot of guesswork, but I thought the two Fillomino had a nice balance of intuition, math, and logic.

Edited by mstang 2017-02-27 4:35 AM
greenhorn
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-27 5:52 AM (#22598 - in reply to #22462) (#22598) Top

2021 World Sudoku+Puzzle Convention Organizer

How well did you like the theme of the contest? I did not like the theme
 What did you think about the puzzle quality of the test? Below Average

90% of guessing the snowmen numbers, 10% of solving...
I started with Tapa and Hitori, which went really well, but the rest was beyond my understanding. Sorry :(
Swagatam
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-27 12:26 PM (#22599 - in reply to #22462) (#22599) Top

How well did you like the theme of the contest? I somewhat liked the theme

Grizix
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-28 12:20 AM (#22603 - in reply to #22462) (#22603) Top

Administrator
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-02-28 12:10 PM (#22605 - in reply to #22462) (#22605) Top

Link to solutions booklet
AndreyBogdanov
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-03-01 1:50 PM (#22607 - in reply to #22462) (#22607) Top

Snowmen Author

Congratulations to Endo, Kota and Takuya for the podium!
Thank to all participants. Additional thank for the feedback - it's always quite useful to read comments even if it is negative.

The idea and most puzzles are created by Ivan Laptiev - this is his first experience as a puzzlemaker and I think he succeeded. Yes, puzzles required quite a few of summation and counting, but this was supposed by the theme. Surprisingly many strong solvers don't like math :)
Puzzles seems to be a bit too hard, but luckily Endo "rescue" the contest and solve all of them. Definitely preliminary preparation (for example writing down a list of sequences containing three-four members) can help a lot with this contest. Non integral "fattiness" could be a surprise, but the hint was in the file password.
WA1729
Subject: Re: Snowmen - LMI February Puzzle Test - 24th to 27th Feb @ 2017-03-02 2:31 AM (#22611 - in reply to #22462) (#22611) Top

Shading and Loops (PR 2016/17) Author

Favorites:

Both Tapas
Samurai Sudoku
Hidato 2

Thanks for a great test! I liked the theme behind this one and felt that it led to interesting puzzles. I made some guesses on a few of the puzzles so I'll have to look at them later.

Thanks!
27 posts • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version