Login Register WSPC 2017 • Schedule • Participation • Location • WSC • WPC • Contact •Search •Recent

LMI Screen Test #3 — December Sudoku Test — 21st-24th December
   LMI Tests -> Monthly Sudoku and Puzzle Tests101 posts • Page 4 of 5 • 1 2 3 4 5
Para
Subject: Re: LMI Screen Test #3 — December Sudoku Test — 21st-24th December @ 2012-12-28 4:16 AM (#9253 - in reply to #9112) (#9253) Top

With Christmas getting in the way I hadn't gotten around to commenting.

I think much is already said. I, like Fred also opted far more often to use guessing instead of logic on these puzzles than normal. This was mostly caused by using a lot of notation while solving and I just noticed I missed a lot in the beginning and making silly errors as i misremembered things, which led me to place the wrong digits. These would all probably not have happened if I had made notations. The high amount of guessing was mostly the reason I voted a bit lower than normal on the enjoyability of the test. Resorting to guessing always makes a puzzle les enjoyable for me and with the fixed time limit I have to try to get it out somehow. So I would prefer pencilmarks over an undo button, as I never use those anyway. I guess in another colour and find it far easier to just remove the digits of a single colour using the space bar than use the undo button.

I also think there should be a higher cutoff point for how quickly you get points for a puzzle. I would say you need to have at least half of the grid filled to receive points, because I don't think people should be able to get points for looking at a grid for 15 seconds and placing 1 or 2 digits. I also think a wrong digit should count differently than an empty cell. I feel you should score for the amount of points for the total of (correct digits-wrong digits), with at least half the grid filled, with the extra rule that you can't get any negative points for a puzzle, so when the amount of wrong digits is higher the amount of correct digits is should score 0. I get Deb's argument that someone who guesses and then it gets autosubmitted would get less points if it's wrong, even though they did the same parts logically, except he could also have guessed correctly and get the extra points. And as most guesses are a 50-50 chance of being correct, this would in the long run just even out.

I thought the amount of puzzles was good. The best ones managed to get through it completely, without anyone having a lot of time left over. I think the rating might be partly caused by the fact that many people though, "it's only 6x6 sudokus, that's going to be really easy", as most 6x6 puzzles that you can find are just really easy. And then when a 6x6 puzzles stumps you, like some of these puzzles definitely will beginners, it might be demoralising. But that happens to the best of us. I think this test deserves a repeat, and maybe with everyone now better knowing what to expect the ratings will probably go up.

One final comment. I would have liked it if the letter and number of the puzzle were listed somewhere on the puzzle page while solving (in front of the puzzle name for example). I find it handy to know how far along I am in the puzzle set.

Edited by Para 2012-12-28 4:20 AM
debmohanty
Subject: Re: LMI Screen Test #3 — December Sudoku Test — 21st-24th December @ 2012-12-28 11:00 PM (#9281 - in reply to #9253) (#9281) Top

Thanks guys for the in-depth analysis. I think it is safe to assume that for a similar test next time, pencil marks should be enabled, if the sudoku difficulties are more or less same. At the same time, I feel adding pencil marks is not going to help much to beginners. (for example : take the Consecutive Sudoku. I see lot of beginners struggling in that. If you miss the 4 (out of 5 possible) dots in row 2, you are never going anywhere. Not sure if pencil mark would have helped here.)

Another theoretical thought I had about pencil marks is that, LMI's pencil marking is very unique. It is not certainly easy to use, especially if you would be using it for the first time. So I was of the opinion that having pencil marks significantly benefits players who are used to LMI's interface. So disabling pencil marks was one way to make it more balanced to paper players.

Anyway, given that almost all comments suggest that pencil marks should be enabled, we should just do it accordingly next time.

About undo : I remember now that during my initial visualization of the test, I had thought of limiting Undo to 2 steps. (Just enough steps to undo mis-types). But I had forgotten about it when the test took the final shape. So, yeah, I agree that not having pencil marks and enabling undo is a perfect recipe for guessing.

Para - 2012-12-28 4:16 AM

One final comment. I would have liked it if the letter and number of the puzzle were listed somewhere on the puzzle page while solving (in front of the puzzle name for example). I find it handy to know how far along I am in the puzzle set.
Will do next time.
adityasaraf007
Subject: Re: LMI Screen Test #3 — December Sudoku Test — 21st-24th December @ 2013-01-01 2:17 PM (#9316 - in reply to #9281) (#9316) Top

debmohanty - 2012-12-28 11:00 PM

Another theoretical thought I had about pencil marks is that, LMI's pencil marking is very unique. It is not certainly easy to use, especially if you would be using it for the first time.

On the contrary, I feel LMI's online interface is the best I have found till now. It's way-way-way better than any other interface out there. And only because of LMI's interface, I have started using Pencil Marks - earlier I was used to solving Sudokus with No Pencil Marks at all. (I still don't use Pencil Marks when solving on paper).
Cyclone
Subject: Re: LMI Screen Test #3 — December Sudoku Test — 21st-24th December @ 2013-01-04 3:47 AM (#9326 - in reply to #9242) (#9326) Top

debmohanty - 2012-12-26 7:31 AM

Thank you everyone for using the feedback system and letting us know how you felt about the test.

However, I'm bit confused by the feedback about "Number of puzzles". More than 40% of the votes suggest there were too many puzzles / way too many puzzles.
I thought in the IB, it was clear that 12 puzzles are meant for 'All', next 9 puzzles as 'Bonus', and last 9 as 'Extra Bonus'. If you are not a top player, you were not expected to reach section E in any case. Similarly, if you were a beginner, you should have thought that there were 12 puzzles for you.

If we plan for a similar test in future, I am not sure if we can / should reduce the number of puzzles drastically. It will be interesting to understand why players thought here were a lot more puzzles in this test than what it should have been.

I kept putting off and forgot to officially do this test (would have been my second, I think) despite doing the demo. I think the reason may have something to do with the fact that a puzzle can be skipped as incomplete, and with the appearance as a whole of a 30 puzzle test. You can't please everyone, and if the screen test had been one hour for 12 puzzles - something I don't consider too out of the ordinary, as those not as skilled can then spend five minutes on a puzzle without stressing - then some others would have said "Where's the challenge?" With a test of 30 puzzles, and the ability to skip puzzles, I don't blame someone who skipped over 5 puzzles they couldn't do and otherwise solved 18 (right or wrong, don't matter) before running out of time for saying there was way too many puzzles. Personally, I thought it was too many; you have to literally solve each in, on average, two minutes. However, if the goal had been to solve any 20 and skip any six, that would give a little more time and allow people to customize their test for the best result. Obviously, bonus points could then be awarded for correct solves of 21-30 (not by puzzle number but by number of correct puzzles), and the best performances thus would well exceed the otherwise expected maximum test score based on 20 puzzles (as an example). For 24 puzzles, for instance, that shaves off 12 minutes that can be allocated to other puzzles, giving 2:30 to each puzzle instead of 2:00, and skip any six you don't like the look of.

Just my opinion.

Also, a booklet of the puzzles now that the test is complete might be nice. :)

Cyclone

Edited by Cyclone 2013-01-04 3:48 AM
101 posts • Page 4 of 5 • 1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version